When Pigs Fly

12 Feb

She balances delicately, one foot not quite touching the ground, ready for takeoff.

Mother-daughter alchemy has spun balloons, toilet paper rolls, plaster strips and the end of a Sonic cup into something altogether unworldy.

A flying pig.

Tomorrow, we shall paint her purple with silver sparkly wings.

Thirteen is not easy. Not for you, not for me. Rough waters bubbling with independence and  new worries and hormones, oh my Lord, the hormones.

But perhaps, in the midst of everything, you will remember that this Saturday night, we giggled and told stories, and carefully wrapped plaster straps around balloons.

And together, created something impossibly wonderful.

8 Responses to “When Pigs Fly”

1. Elizabeth February 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

I love the pig. I love the post. Please post the purple painted pig upon completion. This post warms my heart. I think the time, the projects, the shared moments will be remembered. Love to you!

• lettergirl February 14, 2011 at 7:03 am #

Done — finished flying pig now posted. =) Love right back to you!

2. James Taylor February 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

Love it – that’s going to be an awesome flying pig. 🙂

3. Nicole February 13, 2011 at 10:40 am #

Super sweet! I wish there was some craft I could do to make me remember I love the cat even when he makes me want to open the door and tell him to take it outside for good (you can’t do that with real kids, so I imagine I shouldn’t do it with him).

• lettergirl February 14, 2011 at 7:03 am #

Hmm, kitty crafts. Let me see what I can come up with.

4. Bridget February 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

She’ll remember…I unfortunately don’t remember a whole lot from my childhood, but I do remember making a model of a cell with jello with my mom. We laughed and laughed while we were working on that stupid thing. Do you know how hard it is to make jelly beans stay in the middle of jello? 🙂

• lettergirl February 14, 2011 at 7:05 am #

That sounds kind of awesome. I want to make cell models now. =)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention When Pigs Fly « Not Going Postal -- Topsy.com - February 12, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dawn, Ana Flores. Ana Flores said: AWESOME! RT @lettergirl: Pigs fly. No, seriously, they do. http://bit.ly/eYOuVQ […]