I like it with a little old-fashioned privacy, thanks

8 Oct

It’s apparently National Oversharing Month on Facebook.

So far, I’ve been informed my friends like “it” on the kitchen counter, on their back, in the front seat of the car, on the bedroom floor, in the entryway to their house, and tossed carelessly onto the coffee table.

And you know, good for them. I applaud your embracing of your sexuality. I question the need to share it with your co-workers, teenage children, Farmville neighbors, and Bible study group, but you know, own it, ladies.

I thought about joining in the fun, update my own status with “I like it with the bedroom TV turned on the Classic Sounds from the ’80s channel real loud so my child who is pretending to be asleep but really playing with her DSi doesn’t hear anything else she needs therapy for.”

But that would be OVERSHARING. And also, apparently this is not some feminist “I like sex and I don’t care who knows it” statement. Apparently, these women are really talking about where they keep their purses (wink, wink). Not the “it” you were thinking, you filthy pervert.

And, of course, they’re doing it for a good cause: to raise breast cancer awareness.

Listen, breast cancer awareness is a worthy goal. About 207,090 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in the United States this year. I’ve watched it claim lives, devastate families, leave even its survivors scarred and wondering “what if?”

What if they didn’t get it all? What if it comes back? What if the cancer’s still there?

But I  don’t get the appeal of promoting awareness with a sexual innuendo as your Facebook status. Last year about this time, a Facebook meme about “what color is your bra?” made the rounds. Again, for breast cancer awareness.

I just have to ask, what is it about breast cancer that makes us think we should join in on these “hee, hee! I made you think about sex! And boobies!” internet memes?

I don’t see the prostate cancer awareness folks starting a “mine is X inches long” trend, then saying “Oh, we’re talking about Subway sandwiches! And prostate cancer awareness.”

The heart disease folks aren’t going around posting “I like to beat it…” updates.

But apparently, we’ve decided the best way to raise awareness about breast cancer is to talk about boobies and sex —  with a thousand “that’s what she said”-style jokes as Facebook statuses.

Sorry, I absolutely don’t get how that’s supposed to help.

Here in San Antonio, we have an incredible organization called WINGS that provides mammograms and breast cancer treatment and support to women who can’t afford it. Want to make a real impact?

Skip the status update about your purse, open it up, and make a donation instead.

Texas Wings

14 Responses to “I like it with a little old-fashioned privacy, thanks”

1. Claire October 8, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

You are one of the wisest women I know. 🙂

2. Christina October 8, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

3. poprice October 8, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Amen.

4. vslaurel October 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm #

Great post. Thanks!

5. Jenny October 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I couldn’t agree more. I decided,instead,to go with a pink ribbon avatar and a much more meaningful status update. And I did it not to get some grins and giggles, but instead to hopefully raise some awareness for something that is very close to my heart. I may not have the depths in my purse, but I have a voice to spread a message.

6. Trixie October 8, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

I’ve been ignoring those; I thought it was some interweb things I didn’t care to know about. Glad to hear I was right 😉

7. monica October 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm #

thank you! i hate that junk. seems like there are many better ways to raise awareness.

8. Modelo Negro October 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

Thank you, Dawn. Let’s see how much more aware people really are now and that they do more than just update their facebook status!

9. Bridget October 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm #

I actually LOLed at “I like to beat it…”

But seriously, I couldn’t agree more. The “I like it…” thing drives me nuts.

10. amy lozano October 12, 2010 at 8:19 am #

Dawn,

I actally posted a status update a few days ago with this same thought process. My older daughter and I were talking about this status update “game” and even she, at age 21, agreed that “why?” – isn’t the pink ribbon and all the pink stuff enough, in a classy sort of way, to remind us of all of the reasons to remember breast cancer and you are so right… if you really want to support.. GIVE. I am also super annoyed at the “i love boobies” bracelets. Kids are wearing them, teenagers.. blah blah blah. I try to explain to my kids that we will NOT be buying or wearing them.. even though they say “mom, it’s for breast cancer..” my thoughts: they are worn for the the “thrill” of wearing something a little risque that happens to say boobies. ugh. Just yesterday,,, audrey told me that her friend who has one of these lovely bracelets went to her guitar lesson with it on. Her MALE guitar teacher who is in his mid-late 30’s, commented that he had seen lots of kids with those on and he needed to get one. Well, the young 12 year old girl replied, “oh, no it’s not cool for adults and parents to wear them” to which he said, “well, i just like boobies in general.” hmmm. so, apparently these bracelets are opening conversations about boobies between grown men and young girls. reallllyyy? thanks for the post and sorry for the very very long reply. 🙂

11. J. Welsh October 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

Thank you. I have several friends who went all out for that and I had no clue as to why that would encourage people to help with or care about breast cancer.

Very glad to read this.

12. Beth October 18, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

Oh, yeah. Say it like it is, girl.

13. Jumblerant October 26, 2010 at 1:30 am #

Okay, so I ‘m bucking the trend here, and even going against your post. But here’s the deal;

Many people out there, especially the ‘youth of today’ do not know just how widespread breast cancer is. Generally, if you have not been effected by it via a family member or friend, then it gets put to the back of the line of ‘things I need to worry about after I’ve managed to pay the rent’.

The facebook campaign was a subtle reminder to tens, if not hundreds of thousands of young females around the world that breast cancer is a reality and that they are not immune.

Yes, we would all prefer that everyone was 110% knowledgeable about all the diseases out there but this was just another way of getting men and women around the world to interact around the subject of breast cancer.

The fact that you, and those who rightly agree with you in the comments, were affected by it shows just how successful a campaign it was.

My suggestion is to treat it like any other advertisement and ignore it if it doesn’t appeal to you.

The fact that the campaign didn’t cost a penny to run gets my approval as there are many charities out there who spend their hard won money on useless campaigns.

Thus endeth the rant!

14. Ed Harvey November 6, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Sorry for the late reply but I just saw this as I was reading your latest post. I am definitely mostly with you on this. As a 43 year old man I can honestly say I haven’t used the word “Boobies” since the 4th grade! I don’t carry a purse, but as for sex I am with you on the PRIVACY thing! Pink ribbons and the “Keep a Breast” organization do a great job, but we do need more. My cousin lost his wife because her breast cancer spread to other parts of her body. I don’t think innuendos would have kept Kelly alive, but had they been necessary I would have been right on board with everyone else! Whatever it takes without being childish,…COUNT ME IN!! I have a wife and sisters and a daughter and Lady Friends that I think of as sisters, and I want to keep all of them around for as long as possible!! Yes I love the female form (was that mature enough?) But I love the Woman inside the most!! God Bless you!!!