This is 2 a.m. Guilt Blogging

6 Aug

Seven weeks in to an 8-week Spanish class and this is what I have accomplished:

I can read the inner thoughts of Manchitas the cat.

Spanish Book, Dos Mundos

Manchitas, she does not understand her owners. She finds them tiresome. This, I believe, is the cross-cultural world view of cats. Cats in California, cats in Canada, cats in Colombia… they would hold paws and sing Kumbayah about their shared superiority. However, they are too sophisticated for something so pedestrian. So they just glance knowingly at each other.

“Los humanos son muy estupidos,” dice Manchitas.

That is why I have dogs. We had cats for 18 years. They got on my nerves.

If my Spanish was good enough, I would explain this to Manchitas the cat. Alas, I fear my mangled Spanish would only fuel her documented belief that humans are inferior. So I will settle for reading her thoughts in Dos Mundos.

Manchitas, by the way, no le gustan las pulgas.

On this, Manchitas and I agree.

And that is about what I can understand after 7 weeks of Spanish.

Also, I know how to tell people I really like chocolate.

Totally worth my tuition right there.

My class ends in a week and then perhaps, I will begin blogging with more regularity. I know, you were wondering what happened and were just too polite to say so, all three of you still reading.

8 Responses to “This is 2 a.m. Guilt Blogging”

1. Ron Galvan August 6, 2010 at 2:06 am #

Me gusta tu informacion de los gatos y de chocolates. Me gusta que estas apriendeindo otra idioma. Que guapa y me gusta tus blogs. Tengo un sonrisa muy grande. Gracias Senorita de letras., Tu Amigo Ronaldo Galvan

2. Claire August 6, 2010 at 2:12 am #

Queso… that’s all I got. πŸ™‚

3. Margaret Whittle August 6, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Heck with the Spanish.. Chocolate is the only word one needs to know…Just my humble Southern opinion…( well that and Merlot)

4. katmom09 August 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

LOL I actually HAD been wondering about your posts! Seeing that I hadn’t been writing as much either.. you definitely write more than I and thought something happened!

Aiaiaiaiaiaiiiiii!!!!!! πŸ™‚

5. Beth August 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Hola! Congrats on being almost done with your class. And, it’s always good to know what hispanic cats are thinking, isn’t it? A rare and wonderful talent.

Now, go have a cerveza. You deserve it!
    Cheers!

6. Jean August 8, 2010 at 5:39 pm #

Given my complete failure at figuring out languages other than English, I’m amazed I’m even remotely literate in this native tongue.

I can get through the first two entry classes, usually earning an “A” in the first class, a “B” in the second class, and, I fear, if I took a third class, I might squeak by with a “C” if I were really, really lucky (and probably only if I could find an instructor willing to take bribes, but I’d never know, because I’d never try that route).

7. LGV August 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

I didn’t realize you needed to know how to speak Spanish to inform others you REALLY liked chocolate. I can think of other more interesting/satisfying ways to communicate that most important message… and I’m not talking about mole πŸ˜‰

Otherwise, from what you describe, I don’t think Manchitas would be welcome in our house.

8. Randy Escamilla August 15, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

You have such a wonderful ability to integrate humor and paint pictures with words. I think they used to call it, multi-tasking. And what does Manchitas mean?