3 Mini-Rants

13 Jul

1. That lane to the far left? It’s called a “passing lane.” Not a “park your butt there going 50 miles an hour while you talk on your phone and drink Starbucks lane.” Some of us have places to go, people to see, things to do. Also? Kids in the back seat we are TRYING NOT TO SWEAR IN FRONT OF.

2. If you have a “sports” talk show where you routinely discuss whether or not you’d “hit it” with various female reporters, LPGA players, Tiger Wood’s mistresses, etc? And said show is routinely sponsored by strip clubs and adult video stores? You do NOT get to go on a self-righteous tirade about what misogynist jerk Mel Gibson is.

Yeah, he is.

So are you. Pot, meet kettle. People who live in glass sexist pig pens shouldn’t throw stones.

3.  When lots of people are excited and talking about something and sharing a joint experience that unites them as a global community, like say World Cup Soccer? Even if that’s not your thing, it doesn’t make you cool or superior to spend all your time posting on Facebook or Twitter or whatever about how much you don’t care about that thing. It makes you seem like a petulant toddler in the stage of saying “No!” to everything. Just talk about something else. Join another conversation. You don’t have to like what everyone else likes. But if it’s a harmless, happy thing? Let them like it.

All done now. Your turn.

13 Responses to “3 Mini-Rants”

1. Nicole July 13, 2010 at 9:39 am #

Word.

2. Jane July 13, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Amen. Preach the truth, my sistah!

3. corrin July 13, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Word up.

4. legallymarried July 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY right (especially if your sports radio rant involves the afternoon show on Ticket…bleh.).

5. Sarah V. July 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Great rants!

Regarding driving: What gets me is the “Hey! I’m just gonna drive about a foot away from your rear bumper. No big deal” move that seems very popular on Texas highways.

But of course I would NEVER consider–if I’m feeling grumpy–slowing down even more just to make a point. Wouldn’t even occur to me…

6. amm408 July 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

OMG…in Colorado they one-up the going slow in the passing lane by going THE SAME EXACT speed as the person in the right lane, therefore clogging traffic. Then they pull up next to you, roll down their window and lecture you about how speeding is against the law. It’s a good thing we don’t have kids in the backseat.

7. Aunt Becky July 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

Dude, YES!

I’m tired of people being all, “OMG, I’M SO TIRED!!” all of the time. We get it. You’re tired. We’re ALL tired. Okay?

8. JennC July 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Amen, sister.

9. kathybabb July 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Pls tell me you were not driving while ranting! Oprah wdn’t like that.

10. Beth July 14, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

And, what’s with SPITTING on public sidewalks while you’re walking along? Seriously! You can’t hold in your spit long enough to do it somewhere private, or at least in a place where one of my little boys won’t step right in your huge pile of spit goo? Hmmmmm?????

11. ingrid July 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

I second that! May I just add that turning your blinker on does not mean I’m supposed to STOP and let you in! Speeding up and cutting me off is not your right because your blinker is on. Try slowing down and easing over. 🙂 All done. Thank you!

12. Cat B July 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

One of my favorite rants is about men stopping at the edge of highways and urinating in the ditch. Hellooooo???? I didn’t let my kids do that when they were potty training, so why are middle-aged men who are affluent enough to afford big, shiny SUVs and Ford F-series and Dodge-Rams-that-are-big-enough-to-haul-houses classless enough to pull over on a well-travelled highway in the middle of the day and whip it out and puddle in the ditch or even on the edge of the road? I’ve even seen them peeing in groups, just at the edge of the circle of their boats-and-campers-that-cost-more-than-my-education, blocking an access road as they chat and widdle.

I admit, I live in a rural area. The road off the highway leading to my place is 20 miles from the nearest gas station. But there are side-roads all over the place. Yes, we live in Saskatchewan, renowned for prairies. But that’s just a little part of the southern half of the province. The rest of it is covered in farmland and parkland. Trees and bushes abound. It’s all green and open. Lots of room to hide that tiny little tinkler of yours.

You’re right. You know when you’re “done” a rant. Thanks for letting me vent!

13. feefifoto August 2, 2010 at 12:29 pm #