Snapshots in Salvation

12 Apr

On a shuttered stretch of road, even the Pik-N-Pay has dimmed its lights for the night. School buses wait coralled like cattle, sleeping standing up.

But Lighthouse Baptist Church keeps sentry. Blinking red and bright, its marquee  testifies in all caps.

JESUS SAVES!!!

I’m tempted to lift a hand off the steering wheel to give a witness, say Amen. Preach on.

But the sign has more to say.

“April 16, 6:30 p.m.”

Good book says no man knows the hour. Lighthouse Baptist Church apparently begs to differ.

JESUS SAVES!!! April 16, 6:30 p.m.

At first, exhaustion makes me think I’ve missed the chance. Isn’t it May already? No, still time. Deliverance’s date lies yet ahead. Just a week to go.

Unless they meant last year. Or 2013.

Lighthouse Baptist Church doesn’t specify which April 16.

No matter.

In the dark, I’m thankful for the reminder.

Second

Red lights, too, on the alarm clock. 12:49 a.m.

The knocking on the bedroom door has quiet determination.

The sound slices sleep’s spell, but doesn’t clear the fog in time, and I murmur, “Who is it?”

Of course. My brown-eyed boy. Sleep won’t come to him, either. He hears noises.

The whir of the air conditioner, the brushes of trees, the clickety-clack of the dogs’ too-long toenails on the hardwood hallway.

Filtered through his past, they sound like monsters. Caseworkers and court dates came to his aid and rescued him from the tangible threats. But in the dark, invisible ones can still get through the safeguards love is building.

I sit beside him, patting his back, sentry to a return invasion of fear. He drifts back to sleep.

Easter Sunday, I heard his voice whisper after the preacher  as he prayed the sinner’s prayer, his smaller hand holding mine tight. Next Sunday, he wants to be baptized, and in the waters of the Guadalupe River, take another step towards washing that past away.

Yes, Jesus saves.

But sometimes, in the darkness, we need each other’s reminding.

Third

My sleep scared off by barking dogs and worried children, I pour a glass of water and flip open the laptop, hoping for bedtime stories in benign status updates.

Instead, a train wreck is unfolding. Life going off the tracks, played out a sentence at a time on the screen.

1,677 “friends” are the priests hearing a litany of  your cyber confessionals that end like this:

“In a relationship and its complicated.”

You wonder how far your tank of gas will take you, and what you will find when it runs out. And, having met you only once two decades ago, I am hardly qualified to advise or  to comment on words poured out as you sit in the car.

But if I were, I’d suggest a trip south, ending April 16, 6:30 p.m., at Lighthouse Baptist Church.

Because the truth and transparency you want? It starts with the words on the  marquee.

Jesus saves.

And sometimes, in the darkness, we need reminding.

9 Responses to “Snapshots in Salvation”

1. Bridget April 12, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

I don’t know if it’s a writing class that you’re taking or divine inspiration, but your recent posts have moved me to tears. Beautiful, beautiful words woven carefully together, crafted into a work of art.

2. Patty Vela April 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

Wonderful and inspiring.

3. Rene April 12, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

That was phenomenal.

4. Ed Harvey April 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

🙂 thank you.

5. Elizabeth April 13, 2010 at 12:01 am #

This piece is so very touching. I particularly love your writing in the 2nd section about your son. One of the most soothing images to me in the world is of a person engaged in a river baptism. Very powerful symbolism. Beautiful. This makes me want to sit and talk for hours and hours

and hours

and hours

and hours and hours

Thank you!

6. Alicia Arenas (@AliciaSanera) April 13, 2010 at 5:29 am #

Dawn, I am moved beyond words by your post. I am thrilled for you and your brown-eyed boy. Thank God that Jesus truly does save.

7. Elle April 13, 2010 at 7:48 am #

Another beautiful post, Dawn. I especially love the part about M, and I’m so proud of him–for how far he’s come. And still, so amazed by what a wonderful boy that was chosen for you.

8. Judy April 13, 2010 at 7:52 am #

Beautiful post!

9. monica April 14, 2010 at 8:15 am #

dawn…you are a genius with words. this is just beautiful.