5 Reasons I’m Not a Fan of Your Business on Facebook

29 Mar

1. I’m not a customer.

Don’t get your feelings hurt. Maybe it’s because I just don’t need your services. Maybe you’re a very nice independent insurance agent and my husband already works for the best insurance company in the world. (Not a paid endorsement.) Maybe you sell fertility vitamins and I would gouge out my eyes with a rusty nail before I would try to get pregnant. Maybe you’re hawking high-calorie shakes geared towards helping people bulk up and, seriously? DO I EVEN NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY I’M NOT SIGNING UP?

Of course, it could also be that I’m not a customer because I had a bad experience, like another company better, or think you’re in an industry responsible for eroding the America I know and love.

Either way, I’m not going to fan your page. Because first, I don’t volunteer to get marketing messages from a company I don’t use. And second, becoming your “fan” is a subtle endorsement. And I don’t endorse things I don’t use just to be polite.

2. You’re a tool.

Even if I do like your business, if when I look at your page, you are posting nothing but specials and advertisements, and not really interacting with customers, I’m not becoming a fan. Social media is soft-sell and relationship-based. I don’t want to be looking through my Facebook news feed and see advertisement after advertisement for buy one, get one free widget sales.

3. You’re A No-Show

On the other hand, if I go look at your “fan page” and you haven’t posted anything or responded to any questions from customers, I’m not becoming a fan, either. Don’t get a Facebook page just because someone said you should and then ignore it.

Worst example I’ve ever seen of this? Chrysler. They’ve gone in and cleaned up their fan page, but for a while, it was nothing but angry customers wanting answers about problems with their cars and getting no response. You really don’t want to put up a page where all that’s happening is people talking about how bad you suck. (Which, Chrysler? You pretty much do. But that’s a story for another post).

4. You have posting diarrhea.

I recently “de-fanned” a business because while the owner was at a conference, he went on a rampage and posted several dozen messages in a row, mostly tagging people in videos that had been uploaded in a batch. Your business is an invited guest to my social stream on Facebook. When I log on and see an entire page of your updates bumping everyone else off my page, you are off the guest list. If you would not send your whole business email contact list 28 messages in a row without taking a breath, don’t do it on Facebook.

(On a related note, don’t mindlessly link your Facebook and Twitter accounts so you post every single tweet as a status update. Some updates do double-duty, but when I see a status full of “@” names and hasthtags, I know you’re not paying attention to details, and that makes me wary as a customer.)

5. You can’t take a hint.

If you have invited me to become a fan of your business on Facebook more than three times and I’ve hit “ignore,” STOP ASKING ME. I didn’t “somehow miss your invitation,” I. Am. Ignoring. It. If we have a tenuous social connection and I accepted a personal friend request to be nice, don’t keep pimping your business to me, unless you also want me to sever the personal connection, too.

Got reasons of your own? Add them in the comments. And if you decide the best way to respond is to provide a link to your Facebook Fan Page, see reason #2.

22 Responses to “5 Reasons I’m Not a Fan of Your Business on Facebook”

1. mcwhittle March 29, 2010 at 10:18 am #

OMG, the time you have just saved me. I just want to copy and paste this whenever I get spammed or followed by WOTW (Weirdo’s of the web).

Now that you have this all out of your system, take a deep breath and go get some more caffeine safe in the knowledge you have made the web a better sandbox in which we all can play.

2. Jane March 29, 2010 at 10:21 am #

I am SOOOO with you. You tell ’em honey. 🙂

3. RecipeGirl March 29, 2010 at 10:23 am #

omg, I completely agree with everything stated above!! The repeated “asks” to be a fan of this or that… and the repeated clicks of Ignore are enough to make you wish to de-friend that person!

And I’ll never understand why people link their Twitter & FB accounts. Doesn’t make sense. Tweets are what you’re doing in the moment… whereas I see facebook as more of a status update- a once in a while statement.

4. Elle March 29, 2010 at 10:33 am #

So wait–I can put up a Fan Page for my blog…but then I should actually *use* it? Damn. I should have known there’d be a catch. Heh.

The worst part of that for businesses, as you said–is when they’re just a bot and don’t interact with followers. Same on Twitter. Find a slacker in the office and make them the official FB’ers and Tweeters for your company! At least it’s a real person and not just a series of links.

5. bernicekearney March 29, 2010 at 10:34 am #

Another brilliant post (unfortunately, I think I may be somewhat guilty as charged… D’Oh!)… thanks for your excellent perspective!

6. Nicole March 29, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Haha! So right! I am posting this to facebook so others can see!

7. Elle March 29, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Where’d my comment go? gah.

Basically, I said I knew there was a catch re: starting a FB fan page. Now I have to use it! heh.

As far as businesses not interacting with people, they need to find a slacker in the office and appoint them to be the official FB’er and Tweeter. At least that way it’s a person and not just a series of links that no one will click on.

8. Jamie March 29, 2010 at 11:34 am #

This was absolutely spot-on!!! I think you’re reading my mind or we may be sisters in some other life. Keep up the great writing.

9. kristy - where's my damn answer? March 29, 2010 at 11:53 am #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this … sharing it with anyone I can :D. Cathy and I were JUST talking about this too.

Get outta our heads 😉

10. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswerc March 29, 2010 at 11:57 am #

This is the best post ever!!! I love this.. OMG get out of my I mean our heads !! You nailed it!! May have to steal this and put on our site of course bragging about you all the way and that you are the brilliant author behind this!! Cheers

11. Donna Tuttle March 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm #

Could not have said this better myself. Nothing gets my grundies in a bundle faster than repeated self-promotion.
    If you have a good product or service, people will sell it for you by word of mouth. If you have to keep asking (begging) people to market for you, there is a problem.
    I think today’s hyper-advertising-social-media vomit fest brainwashes people into thinking that if you are marketing something, good manners don’t apply.

12. Elissa March 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

Numbers 4 & 5…..OMG. A friend I hadn’t heard from in years found me on FB…….And proceeded to fill my inbox every day with updates to her FB page about her self-help/motivational business. No private “how are you” messages…..or “nice to see you again”……it was all about her business. I “unfriended” her within 2 days. I felt cheap and used.

13. Matt Stigliano March 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

Lettergirl,

Part of the problem is that people are pushed to gain as many fans, friends, and followers as possible. There is a lack of purpose other than to raise your numbers.

I think many of the people you run with in SM circles here in town have gotten a great grasp of how we can have fun and do business. I’m rather of San Antonio’s grasp of it all.

Being a real estate agent I get tons of request from agents I’ve spoken to or commented on blogs by. They want to be a fan of their little neck of the woods or their company. Much like I see that as an endorsement and I can’t endorse everyone or it loses it’s power.

I try to fan locals first, products I love second, and then Realtors (r) that I learn from, count on, and trust. I wish them all the best, but I have my city to worry about so I don’t really need to know about the lastest listings in Moosejaw, Canada.

And then there’s guys like Dale Chumbley – @DaleCubley on Twitter, who built a fan page, never sent out requests for people to join and has one of the hottest real estate Facebook pages that doesn’t even talk about real estate.

When I first started my blog I had 5 visitors a day and all of them were me. Now I’m up to 100-200 a day. Let it all grow on its own.

14. Jennifer w A Regal Affair March 30, 2010 at 7:44 am #

Great post! I suggest you not click on my link – HA! unless you need an event planner or wedding planner – YIKES!

15. Andria of Andria Lewis Events March 30, 2010 at 9:13 am #

Great post. And very funny. I do believe Facebook resends invites when you decline. I’ve known this to happen to others.

16. nan palmero March 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

Beautifully written. I have 57 fan page requests RIGHT. NOW. They’ll continue to marinate so people can’t keep sending the invitation.

17. Carrie Kish March 31, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Great article! It makes me realize that I’ve been joining fan pages to be nice. Mostly, I don’t want that junk in my feed and have found a way to filter it out of what I read. I’m so sick and tired of getting all the event invites, too. Ugh!

It also calls me to do something about my fan pages. I actually don’t use them. I think people want to talk to people on FB, not fan pages, so I’ve stopped throwing content up on them. Maybe I should take them down or figure out how I want to use them. I’m totally guilty of ignoring my page, but not my fans. I do love my fans and always respond to their posts and requests.

Thanks, again, for the thought provoking post!

18. Amery March 31, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

Awesome!

My reason? Because u post the same damn things on your personal
    fb page as your fan page- and they’re huge! They take up my entire iPhone screen- each!

19. corrin April 13, 2010 at 11:14 am #

Can I just add that I don’t want to be a fan of anyone’s blog, either. I’m friends with the person, not the blog. It’s getting ridiculous.

• lettergirl April 13, 2010 at 11:53 am #

oh gosh, yes! that is a pet peeve, too. when you are really friends with someone, and they send you a request for their “fan page.”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention 5 Reasons I’m Not a Fan of Your Business on Facebook « Not Going Postal -- Topsy.com - March 29, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Elle, Lori Lange, Dawn, edwardkoenning, topsy_top20k and others. topsy_top20k said: 5 Reasons I'm Not a Fan of Your Business on Facebook. http://bit.ly/axqqRj […]

2. 5 Reasons I am not a fan of your business on FACEBOOK - March 31, 2010