Tang Toast

26 Feb

The alarm hadn’t gone off yet this morning when my husband came in, nudging me awake, and saying “hey, I need to tell you something.”

I don’t know about your life experiences, but in mine, “Hey, I need to tell you something,” is never followed by unequivocally good news.

Never, “Hey, I need to tell you something. We won the lottery.”

“Hey, I need to tell you something. I hired a maid service and want you to spend all day at the spa.”

“Hey, I need to tell you something. It looks like overnight you miraculously lost 50 pounds.”

Good news does not need a precursor of “Hey, I need to tell you something.” It’s the verbal equivalent of a warning shot over the starboard bow. Brace yourself.

And at 6 in the morning, it’s usually followed by “one of the dogs/children threw up/peed on the floor/bit the other one.”

This morning, though, it was followed by, “both kids are already up and making breakfast for us and say we can’t come in the kitchen.”

Which, on the “Hey, I need to tell you something” Richter Scale? Barely a tremor. I can handle this news. It’s nice, actually. So, we waited. About 7, my daughter came in, said “the coffee is taking forever to make, 5 more minutes.”

7:15, she returned. Crying.

“The stupid coffee is barely ready and now your cereal is soggy and your toast is cold.”

“Great!” I said. “I was very hungry for soggy cereal and cold toast. Exactly what I wanted.”

She stopped crying and managed a smile.

We sat down to eat with both children staring expectantly.

“We made cinnamon toast. We might have gone a little crazy.”

I started on the cereal. My husband ate his toast, very quietly.

No, “Hey, I need to tell you something.” He just ate.

I took a bite of the toast, and chose my words carefully.

“This is really interesting. How did you make it?”

“Just cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on the butter.”

“Nothing extra? It has a little tang to it. Almost lemony.”

“No, just the cinnamon sugar.”

I managed a few bites, then promised to eat the rest after the kids headed off to school. Hugged them, thanked them, got them on their way.

Then, I headed into the kitchen to clean up where I found a cannister open next to the toaster.

Which, I realized immediately, was filled with a spiced tea mix I make from sugar and cinnamon, Lipton instant tea, and Tang.

Yes, orange Tang. The kind the astronauts drink.

We’d had Tang cinnamon toast.

I laughed in the kitchen until my sides hurt. Then, I called my husband.

“Hey, I need to tell you something.”

19 Responses to “Tang Toast”

1. Emily February 26, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

That is BRILLIANT. How sweet – they tried so hard!

2. m February 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Hahahaha, that’s so cute!! :]

3. molly February 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Love it! Puppy saved!

4. Matthew Egan February 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

I love it! That is fantastic! My sides are starting to hurt which made me laugh harder when you said it in your post! That is awesome!

5. Jennifer February 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

I love it. Did I ever tell you about the omelet I made for my mother at about that same age where I decided, after adding cheddar cheese, that I would color coordinate it and add anything else I could find that was orange, which included, you guessed it.

6. Elle February 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Oh, so creative! Future chefs, I think.

7. Michelle February 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

I love this story…so cute! We need more people thinking outside the box! LOL!

8. Rachel Kellar February 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

They made you breakfast on a school day?! That’s awesome…funny funny story

9. Rene February 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

ROFL!! Your kids rock!

10. queenofhaddock February 26, 2010 at 5:14 pm #

I shouldn’t have read this after getting my tonsils out! Oh the pain…from laughing!!

11. kimberley5949 February 27, 2010 at 1:01 am #

I’m laughing so hard now and my side is already aching.. oh please stop me.. ROFL… your kids seems so cute and i can see your kids future as a chef.. LOL

12. Quadelle February 28, 2010 at 8:17 am #

Adorably funny!

13. Michelle Poteet February 28, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

This is awesome! Tang-y cinnamon toast. New recipe for sure! We’re still in the stages of “helping” him as he makes breakfast. I can only imagine what will happen when we let the boys loose! Haha

14. Heather February 28, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

I’ve read your blog for awhile now.. and love it.. this reminds me of the MOST perfect birthday dinner my daughters surprised me with one year.. I came home from work and they were standing shoulder to shoulder grinning (which caused instant suspicion to begin with) and when I walked in they jumped apart yelling SURPRISE!! a bowl of ramen soup and a grilled cheese sandwich (soggy on one side almost burnt on the other) awaited me. The topping of the dinner though was desert, brownies.. from a box.. they’d used the right amount of oil the correct number of eggs, but since it didn’t tell them how much of the brownie mix to use, they only used 2 cups of it. Oh they were horrid.. but the best brownies I’ve ever eaten.. just as I’m sure that was probably the best cinnamon toast you’ll ever have! Gotta love those memories (and the ones in the making)

15. katmom09 February 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Brilliant post!

16. kristy - wheres my damn answer March 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

That’s awesome … I bet you were giggling to yourself for days over that. Very fun story :D.

17. Beth March 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

That is a great story! I’d like to give you and your hubby kudos for just going ahead and eating everything, without really knowing what was in it. I’m not sure I’d trust anything my little boys brought to me…likely to have some sort of bug or mud or a stick in it, along with the food.

Cheers!

18. Mary @ Holy Mackerel March 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm #

I can SO see this happening. Darling children, aren’t they?

19. ingrid March 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

That’s so sweet of your children…….and there was no fighting? Mine would fight.