What’s the Question, Again?

19 Feb

I’ve discovered in the last month that taking a philosophy class is not really conducive to humor blogging. I write what I experience, and it’s hard to find hilarity in the problem of evil. Wrestling with Theasymachus’ challenge doesn’t easily transition into comic dissections of Johnny Weir’s sequined outfits at the Olympics.

Although, really?

Forget John Locke’s classic “the Prince and the Cobbler” example. For the 21st century, let’s recast it. What if a woodland nymph woke up in the body of an Olympic figure skater. Which would he REALLY be? Athlete or sprite?

That’s funny if you’re a philosophy major. Trust me.

I tweeted to a fellow blogger the other day that I hadn’t posted in almost 2 weeks and got this response.

“Why haven’t you?”

And I replied: “Taking philosophy class. Issues my mind wrestling with not typical blog material.”

And whether accidental double-tweeting, or being deep and reflective, the answer came back again.

“Why haven’t you?”

I don’t really have an answer for that. Funny is safe, the triple axel I know I can land to polite applause. Serious is the quad that might be awesome, or might send me sprawling. Yes, we’re back to the figure skaters. That’s what’s inside my brain right now.

Philosophy and the Olympics. Socrates and Sequins. Aristotle and big air.

Sometimes, there are also LOLCats.

My point? (And yes, I have one). I don’t know why you read this blog. I’m always amazed you do, honestly. All of you: the real-life friends and the people I’ve never met. The commenters and the lurkers. The one-time visitors and those of you that click every single day.

But, after a career of answering the “Who, What, When, Where?” questions, I am finding myself these days more often wrestling with the “Why?” It’s not a comfortable process. Still, I think I have to write about it. So the blog? Maybe not bringing the funny as often, but I am going to be bringing the posting.

If that’s not your thing, I totally get it. If it is? Thanks for listening.

9 Responses to “What’s the Question, Again?”

1. Elizabeth February 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

I’m a WHY girl, but without the who, what, when, and where to help, I’m just another philosopher (ha-kidding!).

You have all five and you are a Rock Star of a writer. I’d read your work if you were chronicling the movement of a single grain of sand over time. I have no doubt it’d be great! Meanwhile, I look forward to your future entries here. 🙂

2. reclaimorder February 19, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Yikes! One kitten every time? I’m a dog person myself, but I figured I’d better play it safe and leave a comment before I retweeted.

Humor, non-humor, philosophy, figure-skating – always something intriguing coming from you. Looking forward to more!

3. Molly February 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

Save the kitteh!! I strongly disliked my college philosophy instructor (believe he was fired the next semester) but thoroughly enjoyed medical ethics and found Kant to be quite interesting from that perspective.

4. Alicia Arenas (@AliciaSanera) February 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Blogging is a fine balance between give your audience value and writing what’s on your mind. Funny, philosophical, I don’t care. Dawn, I love you and your blog!

5. queenofhaddock February 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

You know I love teh funnies, but I also know that you are so much more than clever one-liners. And I’ve always loved the serious posts you’ve done before. Bring it on.

6. MomOnMars February 20, 2010 at 6:39 am #

How come you got the good philosophy class? Mine was all logic, formulas and stuff that made you think – but not in any particularly useful way. Bring it on, girl. All your awesomeness. Make us smarter than we are.

7. Donna Tuttle February 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Gah! The Catholic guilt about the kitten (even though I don’t like cats) is getting to me.

Here is my official comment. But I think you already know:

You are funny and poetic all at once. Brilliant.

And why was Freud always wearing a slip if he was a man?

8. Beth February 20, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

I think blogs should be about the author, not about the audience. Write what’s on your mind! Your mind is full of interesting, thought-provoking, and, yes, often hilarious, ideas. Share them with the world. We’ll keep reading…Cheers!

9. ingrid March 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

Through thick and thin.

Sorry, I haven’t been around much myself ….nothing as deep as philosophy….kids. 🙂