Clarification

14 Jan

No matter how stupid his words and the the “blame the victim for wearing a short skirt so she asked for it,” mentality; he is not the issue.

“Ditto” for him.

Estimates as of today suggest 45,000 to 50,000 people were killed in Tuesday’s magnitude-7.0 earthquake in Haiti.

Associated Press Photo

Millions of survivors left homeless, without food, water, medicine.

Associated Press Photo

They are the issue.

Later, when there aren’t children laying in the streets with bulging broken limbs and no medicine to treat them, when there aren’t lines a thousand deep just needing water and food, when rescuers aren’t still frantically searching for signs of life after the rubble? Maybe then we can all have the luxury of finger-pointing and pontificating and getting angry at stupid statements.

Right now?

Help. Them.

12 Responses to “Clarification”

1. Jenny January 14, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

Well put. To erase Pat Robertson’s cruel statement, we can donate $10 in memory of humanity.

2. Judy January 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm #

Awesome!!!

3. trixie s January 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

Yes! We have to focus people! Don’t get distracted by hatemongers, we’re better than that

4. TCinDC January 14, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

Don’t get distracted by hatemongers? How about “don’t get distracted by the media fixating on something that hardly anyone would have heard if they hadn’t decided to invent it as an issue.” Don’t people ever get tired of being jerked around by the boob tube’s idea of “news?”

5. Icy Blue January 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

You are absolutely right about where our focus should be. But I think hearts are there. When something so horrendous happens, we search for words, ways to connect and share our upset. Pat Robertson Is not the issue, but he offered his name and face to us when he spit on compassion at a time when most can feel ONLY compassion. “F&#• Pat Robertson!” is one way people are saying this. It is a culturally understood expression of disbelief that anyone could be so heartless. By speaking out against hate, people unify. We are all, in any language at our disposal, trying our very best. So I guess all I’m saying is that I don’t think people are focusing energies elsewhere as much as it seems on the surface.

6. queenofhaddock January 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

Amen.

7. Beth January 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I just ranted and raved about this myself. It’s pathetic and sad and infuriating that these people are opening their mouths to say anything other than, “What can I do to help?” Especially when they consider themselves “leaders.”

8. Ed Harvey January 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

Amen!

9. Sandra January 17, 2010 at 11:36 pm #

I’ll donate $10 in Pat Robertson’s name.

10. Octopusgrabbus January 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

Appreciate that you are for helping the people of Haiti first.

11. Vanessa January 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm #

Beautifully stated.

12. Theresa Milstein January 26, 2010 at 11:11 am #

Wonderfully put. But I think we can do both.

I’m constantly amazed that those who tote family values don’t value human life. Maybe it’s just their immediate families that they care about. How narrow-minded and small-hearted.