Of Christmas Pictures and New Year’s Resolutions

4 Jan

Yes, still here.

So, uh, Christmas vacation and children home and present-buying and finals, you get the idea. Nice to see you again.

Let’s start with a little season wrap-up.

Like, the Christmas Card picture of my beautiful family.

They’re all so good-looking, aren’t they? Smart and sweet as your grandmother’s divinity. And if your grandmother didn’t make divinity, I’ll just explain that it is pure sugar mixed with corn syrup. VERY sweet. And usually full of nuts, which may just explain our family perfectly.

Striving towards divine. But in the meantime, divinity.

When I proudly showed people the Christmas card photo, of course no one said “How precious!” They all said “why aren’t you in the picture?”

Well, three things.

First, I am the one in control of the camera.  We often come home from family outings, and as we’re looking through pictures, my husband will say “Oh look, another outing with no evidence of you whatsoever.”

Honestly, y’all, I think he should be grateful for this. When I accidentally back off a cliff and fall to my death trying to get the perfect shot someday, my husband will be able to remarry without having to cut me out of any family photographs so his second wife doesn’t feel awkward. I am trying to be thoughtful. I’m sweet as divinity that way.

Reason 2 is a little more specific. As I was getting ready for his big corporate holiday party, I got frustrated with my hair.

Very frustrated.

And lo, it came to pass that there were scissors in the bathroom. And an angel not of the Lord whispered “behold, I bring you tidings of great joy. Cut your own bangs.”

Uh, yeah. That worked out AWESOME.

So I kind of look liked an escapee from the Island of Misfit Trophy Wives for the party. Which was fine, because my husband didn’t go anyway, because he was on a work trip. So I went with one of the ladies he works with. Because that’s how cool his corporate parties are. I want to go to his parties even when he can’t be there. I mean, REO Speedwagon was the party band, for crying out loud.

I Can’t Fight That Feeling, I had to go. Although I have to say this. The high-def Jumbotron screens? Not your friend any more, Kevin Cronin.

Although I’m Gonna Keep On Loving You.

Because you know, time has not been super nice to me, either. And that brings us to Reason Three I am not in the Christmas Card picture.

We didn’t want to pay extra postage for the panoramic shot that would have been required to get me in it. Because hello, Fatty McFatterson here.

Which segues nicely into the latter half of the title: New Year’s Resolutions.

I’ll be joining with RecipeGirl and about a zillion other people in the “Ten in 2010” challenge to make healthier choices for the next 10 weeks as we get start off a new decade.

I’ll explain more tomorrow about my specific resolutions, but really, they’re pretty simple. Cooking at home at least 5 nights a week, and putting my new EasyTone Reeboks* to the test with walking at least 10 miles a week this month, and 15 a week in February. And I’m not eating anything sweeter than divinity.

Unless nibbling on my family counts.

Happy New Year.

*This is not a sponsored adventure with the EasyTones. I bought them myself, FCC.

11 Responses to “Of Christmas Pictures and New Year’s Resolutions”

1. Natanya January 4, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

I’m doing 10in10 too. I think we should add a goal to meet. I’ll meet you half way and we can have some healthy lunch and walk 🙂

• lettergirl January 5, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

That sounds awesome, Natanya. I would love to!

2. Icy Blue January 4, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

“And lo it came to pass that there were scissors in the bathroom.” I love this sentence! It is like the music before something bad happens in a horror movie. Ha! Love to read your work and I wish you great success with 10 in 2010! And please know that if you back in to a cliff and fall off, you will be stealing my inspiration. And that just would not express divinity.

3. Ed Harvey January 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

AHEM!! UNLIKE Mr. Cronin and my bald chubby/fat self, the years have been VERY kind to YOU!! Although I don’t know that high def or even cheap disposable Polaroid shots were ever a friend to Mr. Cronin (but he is more wealthy than I am isn’t he?). God Bless you and your family in the new year!! And if I get through there I would love to catch up over a salad! Applebees has a GREAT shrimp & spinach salad!

4. Lori @ RecipeGirl January 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Thanks for the shout out on the challenge! Good luck w/ your goals!

5. RuthWells January 5, 2010 at 8:53 am #

LOVE the “island of misfit trophy wives.” Love your necklace, too. Where did you get it?

6. Bernice January 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Agree with Ruth on the fabulous-ness of that necklace! And, as always, your posts delight and encourage me – I love the idea of 10 miles a week… now, let’s see if it’s enough encouragement to get my feet into some tennis shoes!
    Muah!

• lettergirl January 5, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Bernice and Ruth — the necklace is from Lane Bryant. Still available on their website for $39.00 (but the jewelry is buy one get one free right now). I can’t direct link to it, but it’s called the Floral Pendant Bib necklace, and if you go to http://www.lanebryant.com. I bought it thinking it would be great one time with the sparkly formalwear, but I wear it with jeans and black tees all the time and like it even better that way.

7. ingrid January 5, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

🙂 Glad to have you back!

I don’t have any photos of myself for the plan reason that I look butt ugly in every single one and I’m not really in person or not as much?. 😦 LOL

8. erica January 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Do you know how many times I’ve cut bangs out of desperation? Yours look great though!

9. Jane January 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

I must have seriously bad taste. I think the bangs look good. I will not however be posting a pic of my hair.