Dear Twilight Haters: Bite Me

20 Nov
Oh, I know, they’re not great works of literature. Plus, it’s so hipster to be anti-trend.

Oh, the irony. If they were real, they'd be too hipster for "Twilight," too. You're *so* Bella. Ha!

No doubt, the Twilight series offers plenty of silliness to fuel your disdain. Some of the dialog in that first movie? “Spider monkey?” Are you kidding me? “Team Edward” versus “Team Jacob.” I know, right? So dorky.

As for Me?

I am on team “talking to my kids about shared books we’re reading.”

I am on team “put down the wii controller, turn off the TV, stop texting your friends and read a book.”

So yeah, I read all four books in the series. My daughter reads them, too. I’ll probably pull her out of school early today to go see “New Moon.”

When you have a middle-school daughter, you keep those tenuous lines of communication open by whatever means necessary.

We talk about Edward’s stalker tendencies, whether Bella is really making wise choices, what it’s worth to give up for love, and what things of our selves we hold on to.

And we also discuss whether Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner is hotter. Yeah, so? What are you going to do, take my Mother of the Year badge away?

When my daughter was little, I was an expert on Junie B. Jones. Those aren’t great intellectual reads, either. But they were the kindling that fueled her love of books.

With my son, it was the “Spiderwick Chronicles.” When he came to us, at 8, he announced he HATED reading. So we started reading out loud, books that captured the imagination of a second-grade boy.

Now, he loves books so much, he marks on the calendar the day the next volume of the “39 Clues” series will come out. He starts wheedling for a trip to the bookstore as soon as we get within striking distance.

And yes, I read those books, too. Because I want him to know what he values, I value.

And because they know that, when I tell my kids, “try this book,” and hand them something a little meatier, they are more likely to trust me.

So, hate away on the “Twilight” series. I would, but I’ll be too busy giggling conspiratorially with my daughter on the way to the movies.

Also? Team Edward. Like there’s any contest.

20 Responses to “Dear Twilight Haters: Bite Me”

1. schoolofmom November 20, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Eh, I do hate them. But it’s more “love to hate,” ’cause I contributed my just percentage to Stephenie Meyer’s royalty checks last year… Bought ’em all, don’t regret it. And if my daughters were old enough to want to read them, you can bet I’d choose your route. 🙂

2. Elle November 20, 2009 at 10:02 am #

Thank you! I hate feeling guilty for loving those books. And my daughters and I are seeing New Moon tomorrow. I almost pulled them out of school early today, but remembered I still have to pick my boys up after school, hehe.

Plus? There is *enough* depressing crud in real life, so when I read a book, I want to escape. I want to enjoy myself and leave that book feeling like I’ve been entertained. And those books do that for me. And they remind me of when I met my husband (we were both 19) and he swept me off my feet, and we were inseparable (thankfully, we still are!) I never had to worry about him drinking my blood, but still…

3. Julie G November 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

Word.

Reading is good. Being smart is good. Having friends and hobbies and having good, clean, fun is good.

Plus – I’m so tired of all the haters hating on everything. It’s more fun to be a dork and just have fun.

(Although I would question the parents who took their elementary school kids to the midnight showing last night.)

And one last note: TEAM JACOB!!!!

(Let me know AFTER you’ve seen this movie if you haven’t switched teams.)

4. Karen November 20, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

I ❤ you! I so agree…awesome entry…thanks! (My 16 yo daughter and I have read all of them, discuss them and disagree about the teams…I am Edward all the way! Oh, and Spider Monkey and Monkey Man made me cringe!)

5. Jessica November 20, 2009 at 9:40 pm #

I’m with Julie G. “be a dork and have fun.” Thanks for the great post – I love reading and have been so happy to pass that on to my son! and of course, Team Edward! 🙂

6. Tami Lyn November 21, 2009 at 2:47 am #

It is Team Jacob in our house! Hubba Hubba…

7. Quadelle November 21, 2009 at 10:56 am #

Well done as a mom. Keeping them in books and in conversation is worth it.

8. Shaye November 21, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

Good for you for staying involved! (And for mentioning “Spiderwick Chronicles.” I was trying to figure out where to go now that we’re almost done with Artemis Fowl.) 😉

Also–can I vote for neither team? I’m having a hard time finding Cedric Diggory OR Sharkboy attractive.

9. Temperance November 21, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

Every year for xmas and my birthday I got a book from the trixie belden series, when i won an poster contest in 1st grade it was the Wind in the Willows. even after I read perfectly well on my own nothing topped having my mother read to me. So good job, wish there were more parents willing to read to thier kids.

10. Shelley November 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

Moms and daughters sharing books is a life long gift. I brought the magical world of Harry Potter to both my mom and my daughter years ago – and now my 25 year old is the one who introduced me to the Twilight books!

11. ashley November 21, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

Great post.
    Team Edward. Obviously.

12. The Mayor November 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

I was with you all the way until….Team Edward. Nope.

Took my 2 young teens tonight, enjoyed it but I can’t stop complaining about it.

13. KatFrench November 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

Two words that sum up my commitment to being involved in my kids’ worlds and encouraging reading in whatever form it appeals to them:

Captain Underpants.

Fortunately, as the mom of a 12 year old boy and a 5 year old girl, I have neatly sidestepped the Twilight books.

But I salute you for going there, girl.

14. That Kind of Girl November 22, 2009 at 12:40 pm #

Even though I’m personally not a Twilight fan and, yeah, have serious problems with the writing, I completely agree that any books out there that get kids reading are obviously on the side of the righteous. A love for literature is the single greatest gift you can give a kid. Every hour of reading they do is an investment in their future, from increasing performance on standardized tests and improving college admissions essays to just living a rich, joyous life filled with intellectual curiosity.

15. mepsipax November 23, 2009 at 4:35 pm #

I will hate away on Twilight. Vampires bite they don’t sparkle. But I commend you on getting your children to read. But dear gods couldn’t it be something better. Alas, whatever works to keep the lines of communication open.
    I too read with my son, and now we are actually into the same books.

16. mrsblogalot November 23, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

Oh I think I just fell in love with you!
    Perfection parenting perspective as well as a great lover of “The Books”…what else can you expect???
    (-:

17. ingrid November 24, 2009 at 10:35 am #

I don’t watch TV. I mean I don’t, like in almost never but reading? Now that’s what I do. My kids have grown up with magazines and books surrounding them and enjoy reading, too. Like you I read everything (except Harry Potter, I REALLY struggled with those) they read and enjoy our discusses about the books. Very often one or two of them will ask to lay with me while I read on my bed. Sometimes we’ll read out loud but more often we’ll read to ourselves. We love it!

I’m hoping to see New Moon sometime this week.

18. Windsor Grace November 24, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

I love this! People forget that the most important thing about the craze is that people are reading! For heavens sakes, little kids are turning of the tv to do something stimulating. It’s awesome.

19. Bob March 24, 2010 at 2:58 am #

You should get pieces of actual decent literature for your daughter to read. As long as fangirls are screaming about how great the books are, haters will scream how terrible the book is. I mean god forbid people actually show a *gasp* objective opinion or *gasp* actually dislike what’s popular!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Dear Twilight Haters: Bite Me « Not Going Postal -- Topsy.com - November 20, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dawn and Marco Gonzalez, Jenny Buda. Jenny Buda said: RT @lettergirl Dear Twilight Haters: Bite Me. http://bit.ly/2y6rMP – LOVE IT!! More parents should share reading w/ their kids #teamedward […]