Happy Birthday, Dad

19 Sep

Dad

He and my mom picked me up in Lubbock when I was 4 weeks and 4 days old, and brought me home in a giant Christmas stocking I still get out, 41 years later. In a life full of blessings, the fact that I ended up with them is truly God’s greatest gift.

Past 70 now, he is still packing his bags and getting malaria shots. He and my mom travel Burkina Fasso, Africa; an orphanage for children with AIDS in Haiti, or anywhere he can show God’s love with a hug, a smile, clean drinking water — whatever he can offer.

Growing up, I knew two things were true. My dad had high expectations for me, and he also loved me unconditionally. I work every day to try and make sure my kids know the same thing.

I love you, Dad. Happy Birthday.

12 Responses to “Happy Birthday, Dad”

1. RJ Flamingo September 19, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Happy Birthday, Dawn’s Dad! You have a remarkable daughter, and there’s no doubt you had a significant hand in her turning out that way, so well-done as a Dad and a role model. Sending many blessings your way!

2. AmyRuth September 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm #

What a precious tribute to your Daddy. I hope he has many more birthdays and years of gratifying service.
    AmyRuth

3. Colleen September 19, 2009 at 9:57 pm #

Happy birthday, Dawn’s dad! I don’t know you but having met your remarkable daughter it is obvious that she must have been guided through life by remarkable parents. Her love for you jumps off the page and as lucky as she is to have you, you are equally lucky to have her (something I’m sure I don’t need to tell you!).

Best wishes for a very happy birthday.

4. Debi September 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm #

Happy birthday, Dawn’s dad. You have managed to raise one quite remarkable daughter, which means you and your wife must be remarkable parents.

5. Laura September 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm #

Happy Birthday Dawn’s Dad!

6. Ed Harvey September 19, 2009 at 11:49 pm #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!! Hope to come through and see you sometime soon!!

7. ingrid September 20, 2009 at 6:36 am #

Happy Birthday Dawn’s Dad!!!

8. shannon k September 20, 2009 at 6:40 am #

I like this so much!!!! Happy Birthday David!!!!
    I love you Dawn!

9. queenofhaddock September 20, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

I couldn’t help but tear up. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. Happy Birthday to him!

10. judymom September 20, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

the gift in the pajama stocking made with love was just about the greatest gift ever. You make our joy unbelievably immense. To see you loving those two little monkeys is fun!! Hey—in a few yrs if we’re not in walkers lets take a trip to somewhere exotic and share the experience—that is if you aren’t at a booksigning….

11. Mike McClain September 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Wow. Just really cool. Dawn, you and your parents are awesome. What a great life.

12. Elle September 21, 2009 at 7:43 am #

Happy Birthday, Dawn’s Dad! I can see through your amazing daughter, what a truly remarkable man you must be.