Stop. Tagging. Me.
There are not 25 random facts about me that need to be on the Internet. But yet, I feel rude ignoring you.
OK, fine. Let’s get this over with.
1. I have pretty blue eyes, but when I was a freshman in high school, I was obsessed with getting green contacts because a stupid boy told me “you would be “really gorgeous if you had green eyes like Jacklyn Smith.”
2. I say boy, but he was 24, and he stopped telling me anything when our youth minister’s wife told him I was 14. Which really annoyed me at the time.
3. KISS was my favorite band in junior high.
4. Then my mom went to a “listen to records backwards” seminar and decided that KISS stood for “Knights in Satan’s Service” and took all my records away.
5. Then I went through a stage where I thought Jesus only approved of Amy Grant, Sandi Patty, Michael W. Smith and *possibly* Petra.
6. I sang with Sandi Patty a couple of Easter Sundays ago when she came to our church, and she is a lovely woman.
7. I have “A Morning Like This,” on my iPod.
8. Although now I also have Kanye West and The Cult on there, having gotten over my earlier concerns.
9. When I was a kid, I climbed out on a rock to see the tide pools, and then the tide came in and I was stranded out there.
10. My mom says her first thought was “my mother is going to kill me for moving to California and letting one of the kids drown.”
11. Fortunately, my dad was not paralyzed by thoughts of parental disapproval and just swam out to rescue me.
12. They are the coolest parents in the whole world. And yes, I even thought that as a teenager.
13. My dream job is doing the fake news on Saturday Night Live.
14. I told my mom repeatedly that I was not getting married or having kids.
15. I got married almost 20 years ago.
16. And the kids are 11 and 9.
17. I also said “we are not getting any more dogs.”
18. Then we got a JACK RUSSELL TERRIER PUPPY. Who may be the anti-Christ.
19. I am not making any additional blanket statements.
20. I was recklessly fearless as a kid, and used to terrorize my friend Wendy by walking across the rickety railing of a bridge that was a good 40 feet above a creek gorge at summer camp.
21. Jesus probably only spared me because I was humming Amy Grant tunes.
22. We were packing to leave the hospital with our infant daughter when her pediatrician thought she heard a “little murmur” and had us stay for an echo-cardiogram.
23. That “little murmur” turned out to be hypoplastic left heart syndrome. And in that moment, all the fear I hadn’t felt for 29 years hit me like a tsunami.
24. After 4 major heart surgeries, she’s thriving. And I am grateful every day.
25. Before I die, I am definitely going to go zip-lining across the Costa-Rica rain forest and snow-shoeing in Canada.