Dear Facebook Friends…

26 Jan

Stop. Tagging. Me.

There are not 25 random facts about me that need to be on the Internet. But yet, I feel rude ignoring you.

OK, fine. Let’s get this over with.

1. I have pretty blue eyes, but when I was a freshman in high school, I was obsessed with getting green contacts because a stupid boy told me “you would be “really gorgeous if you had green eyes like Jacklyn Smith.”

2. I say boy, but he was 24, and he stopped telling me anything when our youth minister’s wife told him I was 14. Which really annoyed me at the time.

3. KISS was my favorite band in junior high.

4. Then my mom went to a “listen to records backwards” seminar and decided that KISS stood for “Knights in Satan’s Service” and took all my records away.

5. Then I went through a stage where I thought Jesus only approved of Amy Grant, Sandi Patty, Michael W. Smith and *possibly* Petra.

6. I sang with Sandi Patty a couple of Easter Sundays ago when she came to our church, and she is a lovely woman.

7. I have “A  Morning Like This,” on my iPod.

8. Although now I also have Kanye West and The Cult on there, having gotten over my earlier concerns.

9. When I was a kid, I climbed out on a rock to see the tide pools, and then the tide came in and I was stranded out there.

10. My mom says her first thought was “my mother is going to kill me for moving to California and letting one of the kids drown.”

11. Fortunately, my dad was not paralyzed by thoughts of parental disapproval and just swam out to rescue me.

12. They are the coolest parents in the whole world. And yes, I even thought that as a teenager.

13. My dream job is doing the fake news on Saturday Night Live.

14. I told my mom  repeatedly that I was  not getting married or having kids.

15. I got married almost 20 years ago.

16. And the kids are 11 and 9.

17. I also said “we are not getting any more dogs.”

18. Then we got a JACK RUSSELL TERRIER PUPPY. Who may be the anti-Christ.

19. I am not making any additional blanket statements.

20. I was recklessly fearless as a kid, and used to terrorize my friend Wendy by walking across the rickety railing of a bridge that was a good 40 feet above a creek gorge at summer camp.

21. Jesus probably only spared me because I was humming Amy Grant tunes.

22. We were packing to leave the hospital with our infant daughter when her pediatrician thought she heard a “little murmur” and had us stay for an echo-cardiogram.

23. That “little murmur” turned out to be hypoplastic left heart syndrome. And in that moment, all the fear I hadn’t felt for 29 years hit me like a tsunami.

24. After 4 major heart surgeries, she’s thriving. And I am grateful every day.

25.  Before I die, I am definitely going to go zip-lining across the Costa-Rica rain forest and snow-shoeing in Canada.

12 Responses to “Dear Facebook Friends…”

1. Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer January 26, 2009 at 5:32 pm #

Can you tell my face book friends to please stop tagging me on this one as well!!! You are a better woman than I it was hard enough when I was tagged on the blog to come up with 7 random things let alone 25…. So needless to say it is with love and respect to my peoples that I ignored this one 🙂

2. lettergirl January 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Cathy, I’m tagging you now. hahahahaha

3. Cheryl Bacon January 26, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

I loved this because it sounded just like you sounded oh so many years ago when you worked at that desk on Cypress Street. I appreciate you tagging me. I’ve already done one of these back when it required 16 things, and it’s posted among my notes. Feel free to browse.

4. Toni January 26, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

I hadn’t read this yet and I tagged you. I take it back. However, I enjoyed reading your list very much and think you are very-much tag worthy.

5. ingrid January 26, 2009 at 9:55 pm #

I enjoyed reading more about you. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear that your babygirl is well!

6. canarygirl January 27, 2009 at 1:14 am #

Sorry for tagging you sistah, but I just knew you would have the best list. 😉 And I was right. MUAC!

7. Tami Lyn January 27, 2009 at 4:46 am #

I did get recently tagged, and I’m new to the blogging world, and I don’t want to be rude, but I don’t want to p*ss anyone elso off, so I may take a cue from another blog. She answered the question but didn’t tag anyone, just left it up to people if they were interested. I do agree with canarygirl-you do have some really good answers. Poor Kiss, I wonder how many records of theirs were removed by Mom’s after the devil thing got out? Who ruins an expensive needle playing the darn things backwards anyway? I haven’t figured out a way to play those Ipods backwards to see what my kids’ music is!

8. nik January 27, 2009 at 8:28 am #

I am an avid NON-tagger. We gotta stay strong.

9. Elle January 27, 2009 at 10:04 am #

You would completely rock the Weekend Update, lettergirl! hehehe!

10. Pam January 30, 2009 at 9:02 am #

I was reading Elle’s New England Kitchen and read her post about you. Yup, she’s right, you’re a stitch!

11. michelle February 9, 2009 at 9:15 am #

Hi. Don’t know how I found your blog, but I had to tell you. I actually laughed out loud at your #9. and #10. That is my daughter out on that rock!!! (or you know, it Could be)
    🙂

12. leahg March 2, 2009 at 3:28 pm #

right there with ya on zip lining the rain forest.