Dear Flock of Geese

16 Jan

First, I am so sorry about the accident. Typical human-centric news reporting, so your tragic casualties will be under-reported.  Still, I am sorry for your loss.

But is this guy a rock star or what?

sullenberger2

Airbus A320 heading towards the Hudson River with 155 people on board and both engines failing. I’m thinking anyone else in the cockpit, and their goose was cooked. (Oh gosh, I’m sorry! Just an expression. I really am sorry for your losses.)

But Captain Chelsey “Sully” Sullenberger III? He just did what he’s spent his whole life training to do. His wife said he liked to tell people “It’s rare for an airline pilot to have an incident in their career.”  Apparently you guys don’t flock things up too often. (Oh sheesh, I did it again! Sorry!)

But when he did come face-t0-face with an “incident,” Sully didn’t flinch. Told his passengers to brace themselves. Landed the plane, then walked it twice to make sure everyone got out. Because of that, 155 people have a story to tell for a lifetime. He’s being called a hero, and deservedly so. But from the looks of his resume, he’s been a hero in training for about 40 years. That’s something I’ll be talking about with my children today — how it’s a lifetime of little choices that prepare us for our big moments.

Of course, this hero talk will probably ruffle your feathers (Aack! Really sorry this time!), but next time, maybe you could avoid the airport area when you’re off on a Thursday fly-around.

Sincerely,

Big Silver Birds are Not Your Friends

9 Responses to “Dear Flock of Geese”

1. Elle January 16, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Great post–did you wing it?
    Those geese were flocked from the get-go.
    I’m sure the birds next of kin will have their feathers ruffled after reading this.
    The head goose will be pecking away at this open letter.
    Since you’re anonymous, there’ll be a wild goose chase to follow, I’m sure.
    Hope you don’t have to eat crow.
    Readers will flock to see this and fight for a bird’s eye view.
    Because what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

That’s all I’ve got. 😉

2. lettergirl January 16, 2009 at 9:59 am #

You’re a strange bird, Elle.

3. Elle January 16, 2009 at 10:02 am #

Flock you.

4. Elle January 16, 2009 at 10:03 am #

😉

5. Granny Sitter January 16, 2009 at 10:38 am #

The geese have to be real birdbrains to fly in the path of a huge metal object. Perhasp it was a suicide bombing mission. At least those on the ground was saved from their trail of poo. I guess the lowest in the pecking order was the one chosen. I hope those left will have learned from the less fortunate.

6. alert reader January 16, 2009 at 11:51 am #

That post quacked me up! I can’t believe the flock didn’t duck when the plane approached.
    I am down with your style of humor.

7. Jane January 16, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

OMG! It’s like you’re one of the prominent voices in my head; I feel an instant kinship, maybe because of your sense of (subtle or notsomuch) sarcasm underlying your humor.

I am also insanely jealous of your writing talent. I am a new and loyal subscriber from this moment on.

I know they say that puns are the lowest form of humor, but I don’t care. I almost wet myself laughing at the geese-inspired puns in the post and in the comment section.

Give us more!

8. ingrid January 17, 2009 at 9:05 pm #

LOL! Your letter was too funny but what had me on the floor rollin’ was you and Elle going back and forth! I think she was tryin’ to show you up. LOL!

9. dawn January 19, 2009 at 10:42 am #

like a scene from a sitcom over here with you two