Frozen

29 Jan

for Elle

We had a snow day last week.

in South Texas

and of course, it did not

actually snow at all.

Just froze.

So we did, too… stopped everything.

****

Then, for two days, the sun came out

and it seemed winter was over.

***

But Tuesday, a bitter cold blew back in.

This time, I saw tiny flakes fall.

Just a whisper, then dissolving into nothing.

Like they were never there at all.

You, who loved snow, would have laughed

at our excuse for winter.

But I will never get to tell you.

And I am afraid spring will

be a long time coming.

About these ads

10 Responses to “Frozen”

1. Bridget January 29, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

That was beautiful, Dawn. I was so sad to hear about Elle. She was one of my very first twitter friends back in the day. Prayers for her family.

• lettergirl January 29, 2014 at 10:38 pm #

Thank you, sweet friend. She so loved you — told me you were a must-follow when I started on twitter.

2. Kerrie January 29, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

Muac

3. Molli January 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

That put tears in my eyes. Beautiful.

4. Renee J. (@RJFlamingo) January 30, 2014 at 5:35 am #

I really didn’t want to start this day in tears, but here I am. I only joined Twitter because of you and Elle, and I never looked back. You’re right, of course. She would have laughed. Know what? I’ll bet she is, right now. {{{Hugs}}}

5. kudoskitchen January 30, 2014 at 6:55 am #

Elle was one of the first people who friended me on twitter and through her, I met so many amazing people. She was one of the people who inspired me to start my own food blog and encouraged me along the way. As our friendship carried over to facebook, I got to really know and appreciate her even more because of her wit and amazingly huge heart. I feel blessed to have know her, if only for a short time.
    Renee Goerger – Kudos Kitchen By Renee

6. colleenpence January 30, 2014 at 7:54 am #

My heart aches for you and all of her friends and family. I wish I could wrap my arms around you right now and add a tiny bit of comfort. Love you, sweet friend.

7. Deb Wilson January 30, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Beautiful, you have a way of putting feelings into words. MUAC

8. Tori Johnson January 30, 2014 at 9:19 am #

This is beautiful, Dawn. I always kinda dislike when people say, “I’m sorry for your loss.” I wonder if they truly fathom the loss of that person or if they are just saying it. Today I say with heartache for a person I never knew, for her family, for her friends and for you that, “I am sorry for your loss.” But I’m glad to know that she was a big ADD to our God in Heaven. Hugs my new friend.

9. Judy January 30, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Oh Dawn such a beautiful voice you have. So sad…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,749 other followers