Dos and Don’ts for Job Searchers on Social Media

29 Jan

So, I have a lot of friends who are way smarter and more accomplished than I am, including my friend Donna Tuttle, who blogs here, and also has a real job here, and also does so much to bring together a community using social media that honestly? It makes my head spin.

The other day, she asked me to make a video she could use in a presentation to college-age women in communication at Texas State University about the dos and don’ts of using social networking like Twitter and Facebook when you’re looking for a job.

I hate being on video. But I love Donna.

Also, I hate seeing brilliant and talented women sabotage themselves out of great jobs. And unfortunately, although I love social media, it exposes your internal filter failure moments to a wider audience.

So, I made her the video. And if you want, you can watch it, too.

P.S. Yes, I know, it’s rushy and imperfect and I have a pumpkin sitting on my microwave.

About these ads

16 Responses to “Dos and Don’ts for Job Searchers on Social Media”

1. Donna Tuttle January 29, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Someday, you are going to host your own TV show that is a blend of great wit, humor, compassion, and current events. You have such a gift for getting to the core of important issues in a way that is fun and endearing. It is, I, who am in awe of you. Thank you for taking time to do this for me. The students love it.
    P.S. Did you cut your own bangs?

2. Melissa Wayne January 29, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Dawn – nicely said as well as entertaning.

3. Elle January 29, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I’m with Donna–you’re going to be famous, baby! Home cut bangs, or not. xo!

4. Ed Harvey January 29, 2010 at 10:51 am #

AWESOME!! And,..Nice kitchen! Yes, even with the pumpkin on the microwave. You DON’T want to know what I have on my fridge!

5. bernicekearney January 29, 2010 at 11:23 am #

As always, you make me laugh out loud, even as you get to the heart of the matter!
    Viva La Lettergirl!
    I puffy <3 you!

6. Nicole January 29, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Wait…

What’s this “internal filter?” Never heard of it.

7. Matthew Egan January 29, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

I love it! So often young folks get into that habit of posting drunken half naked photos because they feel that pressure I guess, they want to be exciting, and as we all know obscene is often a shortcut to exciting. It just doesn’t last.

This video should play with each new Twitter and Facebook sign up. It should be mandatory, with a quiz at the end.

They ought to learn that taking very public bubble baths is the true key to social media success. Even if the Bath Bombs cost $12!

• PromoGeorge January 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

Great idea – have the video required to sign up!

8. LGV January 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Love the reference to an “internal filter”. Someday, I might procure one.

9. reclaimorder January 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

“Don’t give them 2 reasons to be distracted” – I just love your delivery on things. You definitely let your little light shine in what you do! Go girl!

10. Elizabeth January 31, 2010 at 12:13 am #

I love this! and I love that there is a pumpkin on the microwave. I can’t wait until you’re famous, so I can be a groupie. Although I’m perfectly happy being a groupie now. and once again you find perfect words to describe a very real phenomenon, that social media “exposes your inner filter failure moments to a wider audience.” Ah. Your words. and you are terrific on camera! bonus! :)

11. ingrid February 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

I think it turned out GREAT and will keep in mind your do’s and don’ts! :)

12. cashier resume examples February 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Wonderful Site! I was wondering if I might be able to quote a site and use a few things for a term paper. Please let me know through email if that would be fine. Thanks

13. Rachel Kellar February 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Good Job Dawn!!! Great advice!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Facebook – Mixing Business & Personal | bwh Web Designs - February 9, 2010

[...] there’s this great advice on the Dos and Don’ts for Job Searchers on Social Media. Lettergirl has a couple of good points in [...]

2. Do or Don’t? Clients on Facebook | The Image Freedom Blog - February 12, 2010

[...] Networks are a part of your personal marketing, and @lettergirl covered this very recently in her video.  You have to BE CAREFUL what you put out there, and that means posting honestly but also [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,572 other followers